What is myotherapy?
‘Myofacial’ pain is the medical term for describing muscular pain. Myotherapy is a form of physical therapy that focuses on treating soft and connective tissues of the body using a variety of techniques. Treatment is directed at muscles, ligaments and tendons.
What do myotherapists treat?
Myotherapy can be used to treat a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including:
- General muscular tension
- Back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Headaches and Migraines
- Sports related injuries
- Poor posture and inflexibility
- Jaw pain and clicking
- Arthritic pain
- Stress related pain
- Fibromyalgia and other chronic pain presentations
- Pregnancy related pain
You don’t need to be in pain to visit a Myotherapist. Once symptoms have settled treatment may focus on restoring optimal activity (rehabilitation), reducing the likelihood of further injury and keeping you moving and performing at your best.
Massage: The myotherapy difference
In the age of the quick shopping centre massages and the kiosk masseuse, the importance of expertise and professional knowledge in massage has never been greater.
Myotherapy has its own qualifications, specifically the BHSc (Clinical Myotherapy), BHSc (Myotherapy) and AdvDip (Myotherapy), which qualify practitioners to undertake evidence-based assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of patients experiencing musculoskeletal pain.
Massages are conducted by our experienced myotherapists who have the expertise and training to determine the most appropriate form of massage to suit your needs.
- We undertake an initial assessment of musculoskeletal alignment to identify the cause of aches, pains and soreness, ensuring a better result every time.
- We take a tailored approach, targeting the key areas of your body chosen by you.
- We can perform a range of massages including pregnancy massage, sports massage, remedial massage and relaxation.
- To ensure you get the most out of your session, we can also incorporate the use of other evidence-based techniques such as dry needling, joint mobilisation and muscle stretching. We also provide posture education, activity and lifestyle modification advice.
At MOVE, we believe in combined therapies to produce the best results possible for our patients; our physiotherapists and myotherapists work closely together to help you achieve your goal.
Private health insurance rebates
Private health rebates are available if you have Myotherapy or Remedial Massage cover.
Myotherapy is currently only available at Yarra Medical Richmond.